Date:      Mon, 2 Aug 2004 00:46:45 -0400
From:      epilogue <epilogue@allstream.net>
To:        pryan@singnet.com.sg
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Problem installing cvsup on 4.10

On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 11:51:30 +0800 (SGT)
Peter Ryan <pryan@singnet.com.sg> wrote:

> I am trying to get CVsup running on 4.10.
>
> The handbook indicates it is easier to
> install the package, so I went to the
> package collection and installed
> cvsup-16.1h
>
> The package installation seemed to indicate
> the target directory was /usr/ports/net/cvsup.
> (this was a message asking me to confirm the
> installation from /stand/sysinstall)
>
> When I had finished the installation, I could
> not run cvsup - command not found.

when you finish an installation, you'll very often have to issue the
'rehash' command, which tells your csh to reread the $PATH which is set in
your .cshrc

if you didn't do this, you'll probably see the command 'magically' appear
after your next boot or if you open another term and su to root.

you do have to run this command as root, btw.    ;)

> So I thought maybe I had to install from the
> ports collection, so I cd'd to /usr/ports/net/cvsup
> and ran Make.  That seemed to go OK.
>
> Then I did a Make Install.  It stops with error
> code 1. It says cvsup-16.1h already installed.

try 'pkg_info | grep -i cvsup' to see if you do have the program installed.

and, as root, 'echo $PATH'

> I am not sure what I am doing wrong in all this.
> Can anyone spot what it is ?

my first guess would be the 'rehash'.  further guesses would depend upon
what you get from pkg_info and $PATH.

hth,
epi