Date:      Sat, 7 Aug 2004 14:43:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jon Passki <cykyc@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-rc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Feature request to rc.d: managing subsets of scripts

Hello All,

I wish accomplish the following with rc.d scripts:

1) Scripts can be assigned to a subset;
2) Subsets can be ordered, with this order honored by rcorder;
3) Subsets can be independently started and stopped after the
initial system startup;

For me, the usage would be in situations where I have a bunch of
interdependent scripts that would need a stop/start when for
example I'm remounting a file system or reassigning daemons to a
different network interface.  This way, I could assign scripts to
subsets if I know that they utilize common interfaces or mounts.
It is implied that if a script wasn't placed in a subset it should
continue to function even though it may depend on or be a dependent
of a subset that was stopped.  It is the responsibility of the
sysadmin to properly segment subsets.

1) & 2) can be accomplished with the REQUIRE, PROVIDE and BEFORE
lines.  This would also make me alter each rc.d script I wish to
manage, but that is acceptable.  It's unknown to me if subsets
should be disjointed.

It isn't obvious to me, though, if 3) could work that way.  I still
would see rcorder doing it's magic, but it would need a filter to
only order that subset.  The KEYWORD line could be used in addition
to the other lines, but adds some redundancy.  According to  [1],
rcorder logically OR's keep list switches.  It would have to AND
them in this case to handle a) the FreeBSD switch and b) more
importantly, manage more than one subset.

Does anyone know of an elegant solution?

Jon Passki

[1] http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-rc/2004-May/000009.html

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail