Date:      Sun, 22 Aug 2004 19:11:53 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   The daemon is not a religious symbol, but...

I've been chatting with Hanspeter Roth (hampi at rootshell dot be) about
his dislike of the daemon image in the 5.X boot loader menu and he was
satisfied with a patch like the one below that disables just the daemon
image with minimal changes to the boot loader scripts:

: Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 17:12:19 +0200
: From: Hanspeter Roth <hampi@rootshell.be>
: Subject: Re: Beastie by default
:
: > %%%
: > Index: beastie.4th
: > ===================================================================
: > RCS file: /home/ncvs/src/sys/boot/forth/beastie.4th,v
: > retrieving revision 1.8
: > diff -u -r1.8 beastie.4th
: > --- beastie.4th       9 Jan 2004 19:20:47 -0000       1.8
: > +++ beastie.4th       20 Aug 2004 14:24:59 -0000
: > @@ -141,7 +141,7 @@
: >       8 menuY !
: >       5 menuX !
: >       clear
: > -     46 4 print-beastie
: > +\    46 4 print-beastie
: >       42 20 2 2 box
: >       13 6 at-xy ." Welcome to FreeBSD!"
: >       printmenuitem ."  Boot FreeBSD [default]" bootkey !
: > %%%
:
: Ok, thanks.
: It would be nice if this were in the manual or in the faq.

I very much dislike the fact that our logo, which is an established mark of
the FreeBSD operating system for so many years, brings up bad feelings to
some users, but I also think I can understand that this is something that
quickly becomes a religious war (sic) and nobody is going to accept the
fact that they might be seeing too much in a logo that is otherwise
unrelated to the religious belief or unbelief ot the FreeBSD developers as
a team or as individuals.

What do you all think is the best way to document this, in an attempt to
stop all this bitching about our logo that periodically comes up at the
lists?