Date:      Thu, 30 Sep 2004 11:44:12 -0700
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org, rob2@pythonemproject.com
Subject:   Re: grub port question

On Thursday 30 September 2004 10:03 am, Rob wrote:
> I was going to try to use grub for booting from my multidisk system,
> as I was told that the bootup process is done in i386, then it is
> transfered to 64 bit mode.  So grub works OK.   But last nite I tried
> to install grub from ports and got the message immediately
> (paraphrasing) "that I could not compile a 32 bit application on a 64
> bit OS."
>
> So now I'm really confused LOL.

In a nutshell, the toolchain has various flags/switches to control its
operating mode.  For example, gcc has -m32 and -m64.  The catch is that
we do not install the 32 bit version of the include files yet.  And you
have to use tools/lib32/build32.sh to build the 32 bit libraries.  The
rest of the toolchain has various mode switches.  eg: as --32 etc.  gcc
could be slightly tweaked to use the correct include and library paths,
but for now it needs horrible -I and -L switches.

However, the port problem is that it doesn't know any of these magic
options.  I hate to say it, but the easiest thing is probably to just
fetch the i386 package for now.  If pkg_add won't do it, then it should
be possible to extract the tarball by hand and do the deed.  Not
pretty, I know.