Date:      Sun, 31 Oct 2004 05:20:53 +0000
From:      Dima Dorfman <dd@freebsd.org>
To:        Jon Adams <jkadams@computer.org>
Cc:        freebsd-database@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Oracle 8i (8.1.7), FreeBSD 5.1 i386 installation questions

Jon Adams <jkadams@computer.org> wrote:
> bash-2.04$ ./setup_stubs.sh
> Setting up patch files...done.
> Patching makefiles as necessary:
> Rebuilding client shared library...ld: cannot find -ldl
>

> Now I know -ldl is for the dlopen function in Linux, which are in a
> different place than in FreeBSD,

You should be compiling and running everything Oracle-related under
Linux emulation, and if you installed the linux_devtools port, you
should have libdl in /compat/linux/lib. I suspect that either you
aren't running under Linux emulation or that you don't have that port
installed.

> BTW: please do not tell me to try Oracle 9i, or that I should use
> another version of FreeBSD, or something like that, I am locked in this
> hardware and OS, so I need to get it to work with the current setup as
> much as possible.

If you're stuck then you're stuck, but I really would recommend trying
to at least get away from 5.1, which really wasn't a production-
quality release.