Date:      Thu, 18 Nov 2004 16:59:53 +0000
From:      Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSD equivalents of autoconf, automake, etc.

On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 06:32:21PM +0200, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
: The minimal Makefile for building a program in FreeBSD looks something
: like this:
:
: 	PROG=	foo
:
: 	.include <bsd.prog.mk>

:
: I can't even begin to describe all the 'make magic' that is hidden in
: /usr/share/mk/*.mk, but you can find out most of it by reading the
: comments in these make(1) include files.

This is exactly what I needed.  I wanted to experiment with building,
installing, linking, and the same with my own test 'libraries.'  It looks
like this is much easier than autoconf.