Date:      Sat, 1 Jan 2005 02:01:11 +0100
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: USB scanner not attached when connected after system startup]

--MGYHOYXEY6WxJCY8

On Fri, Dec 31, 2004 at 04:07:12PM +0100, Harald Weis wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 30, 2004 at 09:33:32AM +0100, Marc Fonvieille wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 29, 2004 at 04:49:05PM +0100, Harald Weis wrote:
> > >=20
> > > My scanner (EPSON PERFECTION 1650) is working alright if it is connec=
ted before system startup.
> > > But when connected to the running system it doesn't get attached by u=
sbd. I can't find out from Handbook, manpages or mailing lists what could b=
e the reason.

> >=20
> > I assume you followed the Image Scanner section in the Handbook.
> > Is usbd really running?  Are you using the default usbd.conf?
>=20
>=20
> 1. usbd is really running all the time (usbd_enable=3D"YES" being in rc.c=
onf)
> 2. using the default usbd.conf, which I studied only recently to find out=
 what could be missing.
> 3. added the following lines to it for testing:
> device "Perfection 1650 scanner"
>         devname "uscanner[0-9]+"
>         attach "sane-find-scanner -q"
>         detach "sane-find-scanner -q"

What are you trying to accomplish here? sane-find-scanner just lists the
devices it finds.

> I still haven't got a clue of what other command could be useful
> here. I think Ialso understood that the proper attachment/detachment
> function of usbd has nothing to do with those commands. Right or
> wrong?

On 5.3, I don't have to use usbd at all. The device node is created by
devfs (on 5.3). You might have to do it manually on 4.x?. I use
devfs.rules to make the scanner device available to a group usb, of
which I'm a member, and that's it. Sane can use the scanner.

For the record, my dll.conf looks like this:

--------------------------- dll.conf -------------------------------
# Load the epson backend.
epson
--------------------------- dll.conf -------------------------------

And epson.conf contains just:

-------------------------- epson.conf ------------------------------
usb /dev/uscanner0
-------------------------- epson.conf ------------------------------

> 4. Killing usbd and running ``usbd -dvv'' confirms that usbd does not
> detect any event when I connect or disconnect the signal cable of the
> scanner (needless to say that the scanner is connected to power). No
> error message in the debugging output, just this:

I usually do it the other way around. I keep the USB cable plugged in,
and connect or disconnect the power to the transformer, because the 1650
doesn't have an on/off switch.

Do you see anything in dmesg output after you plug in the scanner?

Roland
--=20
R.F. Smith                           /"\    ASCII Ribbon Campaign
r s m i t h @ x s 4 a l l . n l      \ /    No HTML/RTF in email
http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/         X     No Word docs in email
                                     / \    Respect for open standards

--MGYHOYXEY6WxJCY8