Date:      Tue, 01 Feb 2005 02:56:34 +0900 (JST)
From:      Kazuhito HONDA <kazuhito@ph.noda.tus.ac.jp>
To:        paul@ewido.net
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Which USB-Soundcards work?

Hi,

I tested SoundBlaster live! 24-bit on FreeBSD-current (Jan. 27, 2005).
Result: it can record in 16-bit, but can't do in 24-bit.
        And it can't play any source.

In the case of released FreeBSD, FreeBSD-stable
and FreeBSD-current before Dec. 25 2004,
they don't have recording systems for USB audio devices,
and I guess that it can't play in the same way.

These source code for USB audio devices come from NetBSD.
So I also tested it on NetBSD and
I got the same result as FreeBSD-current.
I conjecture that this failure results from disagreement
between BSD source code and 5.1 ch sound.

So I recommend to use a simpler USB device of 2 ch and 16 bit.
I use SoundBlaster Digital Music (not LX, PX), and
it can play sound sources on old FreeBSDs,
and can record on FreeBSD-current after Dec. 25 2004.

Kazuhito HONDA