Date:      Sun, 6 Feb 2005 22:28:09 -0500
From:      Anish Mistry <mistry.7@osu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Ned Harrison <nedsmailbox2@cox.net>
Subject:   Re: Very general shutdown question

--nextPart1369244.IWvCuqFg4s

On Sunday 06 February 2005 11:46 am, Ned Harrison wrote:
> I run FreeBSD 5.3 on my home PC in a stand alone machine as a desktop.   =
Is
> it possible to set it up so an ordinary user can shut the system?  I've
> created a couple of accounts that are not in the wheel group so I can give
> friends and house guests the chance to play on a non-Microsoft system.   I
> don't want to give them root access just to shut it down.
>
> None of the books which I have discuss using FreeBSD in this way.  They a=
re
> mostly geared to setting up networks running it for businesses.  Areas
> where one may not want an ordinary user to be able to shutdown the machin=
e.
> However, I prefer having the machine off when I'm not on it.  If it's not
> possible that fine I can continue working around it like I do now.

The easiest way I've found to do this is assuming you have X installed and =
are=20
using a login manager ie. KDM/GDM/Login.app just use the shutdown=20
functionality of the login manager to shutdown the system.  The most fool=20
proof way if you've got ACPI on this system it to just tap the power button=
=20
and it'll shutdown.

=2D-=20
Anish Mistry