Date:      Wed, 16 Mar 2005 09:32:28 -0700
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        Nicolas Gieczewski <trash@nixsoftware.com>
Cc:        java@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: jdk-1.4.2p7 crashes with no indication of why

On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 11:32:31PM -0300, Nicolas Gieczewski wrote:
> A couple of days ago I moved a very thread-intensive Java application from a server running Linux to a server running FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE and jdk-1.4.2p7. The server has an Athlon XP 2600+ processor and 512 MB of memory.
>
> The application services around 700 concurrent clients during peak hours and creates at least one thread for each connection, with many connections requiring 2+ threads. The total number of threads during peak hours is usually between 1600 and 2200.
>
> The problem: During peak hours, the JVM dies several times an hour with no indication of why. Nothing is written to stdout or stderr, there's no log file, no core dump, and nothing in /var/log/messages.
>
> Late at night, when the number of concurrent users drops to 300-400, there are no crashes and the JVM runs stable for several hours until the next day.
>
> FWIW, I tried linux-sun-jdk-1.4.2.07_1 but the results were even worse: The JVM would crash extremely often (I don't think it ever lasted longer than 5 minutes), but at least it did write an error log file and a core dump. The error log file always began with:
>
> > An unexpected exception has been detected in native code outside the VM.
> > Unexpected Signal : 11 occurred at PC=0x81B9EE8
> > Function=[Unknown.]
> > Library=(N/A)
>
> The backtrace shown in the "Current Java thread" section of the error log file was different every time, but it usually pointed to parts of my code that either created a new thread or interrupted an existing thread.
>
> This problem does not occur when the application is run on Linux.
>
> Any clues?

Its very difficult to have any clues since there isn't much information
to be had :(.

Try updating to 5.3-STABLE as another poster has suggested.  If the
problem persists, try using java_g instaead of java and maybe run that
under gdb and see if you can get a trace.

--
Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Information Technology              FreeBSD : glewis@FreeBSD.org