Date:      Sat, 26 Mar 2005 12:52:43 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jamie Ostrowski <jamie@gnulife.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Missing libraries when making c-client

   Greetings,

   I am having some trouble installing imap from source. I am building a
machine for my boss who *insists* that I cannot use anything from the
ports collection on the machine, so I can't use the imap port.

   The build is failing, and it seems as though it can't find some openssl
include files, judging from the errors I am getting.

   This is on a stock 4.11 system. When I untar the imap-2004c1 source, I
read the readme doc, and I ran

make bsf

since it is a FreeBSD install. It will not compile, though. Here is where
it is failing:

Building with SSL and plaintext passwords disabled unless SSL/TLS
echo "  mail_parameters (NIL,SET_DISABLEPLAINTEXT,(void *) 2);" >>
linkage.c
cat osdepbas.c osdepckp.c osdeplog.c osdepssl.c > osdep.c
Building OS-dependent module
If you get No such file error messages for files x509.h, ssl.h,
pem.h, buffer.h, bio.h, and crypto.h, that means that OpenSSL
is not installed on your system. Either install OpenSSL first
or build with command: make bsf SSLTYPE=none
`cat CCTYPE` -c `cat CFLAGS` `cat OSCFLAGS` -c osdep.c
osdep.c:138: x509.h: No such file or directory
osdep.c:139: ssl.h: No such file or directory
osdep.c:141: pem.h: No such file or directory
osdep.c:142: buffer.h: No such file or directory
osdep.c:143: bio.h: No such file or directory
osdep.c:144: crypto.h: No such file or directory

  etc etc etc...

In the Makefile, under the "bsf" target, we see that the path to the stock
openssl libraries in FreeBSD is declared:

bsf bso:        an
        $(BUILD) BUILDTYPE=$@ \
        SPECIALS="GSSDIR=/usr SSLDIR=/usr SSLINCLUDE=/usr/include/openssl
SSLCERTS=/etc/ssl/certs SSLKEYS=/etc/ssl/private LOCKPGM=/usr/sbin/mlock"

   ...and an ls of /usr/include/openssl does include x509.h, ssl.h, pem.h,
etc.

    Does anyone have any explanation for why it isn't finding those files?
Any direction I can go from here? I would rather not build an additional
openssl package from a source tree as I would like to just use what is on
the system. It would make things cleaner (fewer moving parts) when
cvsupping and building world, etc. I would prefer to use the native
libraries.

   Thanks,

   - Jamie

The Moon is Waning Gibbous (100% of Full)