Date:      Wed, 06 Apr 2005 19:12:30 +0900
From:      Joel <rees@ddcom.co.jp>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   chmod -R g+w /usr/ports?

I'm sure this is a flamewar kind of question. I did at least search the
ports archive for "chmod".

So, here's my probably shallow analysis:

My general admin user is a member of wheel. The ports tree is all group
wheel. Therefore,

    chmod -R g+w /usr/ports

and I can at least make without being root.

What am I missing, besides the obvious -- make install won't fly without
su or sudo?

I'm thinking this reduces the number of files I'd want to examine for
odd things like, well, you all know, obfuscated attempts to add synonym
users, etc.

--
Joel Rees   <rees@ddcom.co.jp>
digitcom, inc.   $B3t<02q<R%G%8%3%`(B