Date:      Mon, 18 Apr 2005 01:58:44 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Can't build ports on older FreeBSD machine

I've been asked to upgrade some software on an older FreeBSD 4.x box.  (The
owner is getting ready to move to a new box with 4.11 but can't take the
machine out of production just yet.) I upgraded all of the ports via CVS, and
then discovered that none of them would build. When I try to build a port,
I get messages like

"/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk", line 4852: Malformed conditional (defined(USE_RCORDER) || defined(USE_RC_SUBR) && ${USE_RC_SUBR:U} != "YES")

I'm not sure, but it appears that the master Makefile for the ports collection
was updated during the CVS update and requires features that the "make" utility
which shipped with that version of FreeBSD doesn't have. (Correct me if I'm
wrong here, but that's what it looks like at first glance.) How can I build
ports on that box? Note that I may be in a bit of a Catch-22 situation,
since any solution that requires installing a new "make" won't work if I have
to build it from a port.

--Brett Glass