Date:      Wed, 1 Jun 2005 14:35:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Philip Hallstrom <freebsd@philip.pjkh.com>
To:        Jorn Argelo <jorn@wcborstel.nl>
Subject:   Re: postgrey question

[description of postgrey snipped]

> The main advantage of this is that spammers and viruses have massive amount
> of email lists and just try to send it to as many people as possible. They
> are not going to wait and try to send the e-mail again, thus you effectively
> block many amount of spam and virus e-mail before it's even being processed
> by amavis / clamav / spamassasin, saving up system resources.

This is also the problem with greylisting... some services only attempt to
send the email once and if it fails, give up completely.  I don't remember
if postgrey comes with a whitelist of IP addresses or not, but I do
remember seeing a list that included things such as Southwest Airlines
ticket confirmations and some amazon stuff.

Anyway, that's something to watch out for if it's relevant for you...