Date:      Fri, 26 Aug 2005 22:19:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <mdodd@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [CFR] reflect resolv.conf update to running application

--0-1788720939-1125109146=:1915

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005, Brooks Davis wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 08:29:39PM -0400, Matthew N. Dodd wrote:
>> I've got modifications to dhclient-script and a Makefile in /etc/namedb/
>> that implement this behavior.  I'll clean it up for public consumption if
>> others are interested.
>
> Sounds useful to me.

I've not yet come up with a good way to configure this behavior, other
than the bit that turns of the resolv.conf updating (touch
/etc/dhclient-no-resolv-conf).

/var/run/named.forwarders is updated with a Bind named.conf forwarders
configuration section containing all DHCP provided nameservers.  The
Makefile is placed in /etc/namedb and /etc/namedb/named.conf is moved to
/etc/named.conf.in and modified to include the lines:

 	forward only;
#include "/var/run/named.forwarders"

This will cause the nameserver to never perform recursive queries directly
but to forward everything to the listed forwarders.

I'm open to suggestions on where to place the configuration knobs for this
functionality.

--
10 40 80 C0 00 FF FF FF FF C0 00 00 00 00 10 AA AA 03 00 00 00 08 00
--0-1788720939-1125109146=:1915
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--0-1788720939-1125109146=:1915

IyAkSWQkDQojDQoNCm5hbWVkLmNvbmY6IG5hbWVkLmNvbmYuaW4gL3Zhci9y
dW4vbmFtZWQuZm9yd2FyZGVycw0KCWNwcCAtUCAtQyBuYW1lZC5jb25mLmlu
ID4gJEANCgkvZXRjL3JjLmQvbmFtZWQgcmVzdGFydA0K

--0-1788720939-1125109146=:1915--