Date:      Sat, 12 Nov 2005 21:55:57 +0100
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        Timm Florian Gloger <timm.gloger@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Install freeze while or immediately after finish copying the ports-collection

--6c2NcOVqGQ03X4Wi

On Sat, Nov 12, 2005 at 09:36:24PM +0100, Timm Florian Gloger wrote:
> Hi list,
>=20
> I am sorry to request help again, but now (after getting the system boot=
=20
> with the install cd [see other messages]) the install process freezes=20
> while or immediately after the copying the ports collection to my harddis=
k.

Have you verified the checksum of the ISO image after you downloaded it?

What happens if you don't install ports? (you can always do it later).

> First i thought i could be my usb keyboard (thought i read something=20
> like that somewhere else) but even with ps/2 devices the freeze occures.
> Using an extern ftp server for installation is not possible since my=20
> inboard 3com network interface seems to be not supported correctly.
>=20
> Any ideas?

How do you know that the network card doesn't work? If you go to the
emergency shell (alt-F4, IIRC) and type 'ifconfig', does it show a
network interface with 'media: Ethernet'?

Anyway, ftp install uses the same install program. So unless you have a
suspicion that it's the CD or the atapicd driver that causes the hang
instead of sysinstall, I don't think ftp install will make a difference.

Roland
--=20
R.F.Smith (http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/) Please send e-mail as plain text.
public key: http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/pubkey.txt