Date:      Mon, 30 Jan 2006 19:37:45 -0500
From:      Brad Gilmer <bgilmer@gilmer.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   DNS nslint error messages

I am running freebsd 5.4-STABLE on an IBM e-series 330 server.  I have recently started playing with DNS and have been largely successful.  However, nslint reports the following errors:

nslint: missing "a": localhost. -> 127.0.0.1
nslint: missing "a": localhost.org. -> 0.0.0.1

If I add the line:

localhost.      IN A 127.0.0.1

to my zone file, the first nslint error message goes away, but I then see the following message in my /var/log/messages file upon named startup:

Jan 30 18:58:55 gilmer named[15485]: master/gilmer.org:16: ignoring out-of-zone data (localhost)

So which is correct?  Should I insert the A record in the zone file and ignore the nslint message, or should I leave it out and ignore the named message?  Is there something else improperly configured on my system?

What about the second nslint message above?  Why am I getting a complaint about 0.0.0.1?

My /etc/namedb/master/gilmer.org file looks like this:
$TTL    3600

gilmer.org.     IN      SOA     ns1.gilmer.org. admin.gilmer.org.  (
                                20060126        ; Serial
                                3600    ; Refresh
                                900     ; Retry
                                3600000 ; Expire
                                3600 )  ; Minimum

;DNS Servers
@       IN      NS      @

; Machine Names
localhost.      IN A    127.0.0.1
ns1             IN A    69.46.128.60
@               IN A    69.46.128.60

;Aliases
mail            IN CNAME        @
www             IN CNAME        @

; MX Record
@               IN MX 10        @

(Yes, I know this configuration is a little strange, but right now, I am using one server to do everything until I get the hang of DNS.)

My /etc/namedb/master/localhost.rev file looks like this:
;       From: @(#)localhost.rev 5.1 (Berkeley) 6/30/90
; $FreeBSD: src/etc/namedb/PROTO.localhost.rev,v 1.6 2000/01/10 15:31:40 peter Exp $
;
; This file is automatically edited by the `make-localhost' script in
; the /etc/namedb directory.
;

$TTL    3600

@       IN      SOA     ns1.gilmer.org. admin.gilmer.org.  (