Date:      Sun, 26 Feb 2006 18:50:09 +0300
From:      Yar Tikhiy <yar@comp.chem.msu.su>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   world's toolchain & CPUTYPE

Hi all,

Yesterday I hit the following problem:

- was given an Athlon XP machine with a fresh CURRENT built with
  CPUTYPE=athlon-xp;

- used it to build a fresh RELENG_6 world with no customizations
  at all -- __MAKE_CONF=/dev/null;

- tried to install the world over NFS on an old Pentium machine
  with some 5.3-BETA;

- "make installkernel" failed instantly because install(1) died on
  signal 4, illegal instruction.

Quick investigation showed that the world was built using generic
i386 code, as expected, but its toolchain was linked against the
builder system libs contaminated by Athlon-specific code.  It was
sufficient to rebuild and reinstall all libs on the builder machine
with no particular CPUTYPE set and then to rebuild the world's
toolchain again to make the latter run well on the Pentium.

I used to be under impression that a world's toolchain should be
fairly independent from the builder system.  However, this case
showed that it wasn't quite true.  Is it a known issue, or am I
missing a key point?  Thanks!

--
Yar