Date:      Thu, 05 Apr 2007 16:43:08 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "Michael Schuh" <michael.schuh@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, schiz0phrenic21@gmail.com
Subject:   Re: Changing Console Resolution - Vidcontrol

--==_Exmh_1175816588_1105P

> Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 00:31:45 +0200
> From: "Michael Schuh" <michael.schuh@gmail.com>
>
> Hi Kevin,
> hi @list,
>
> ok losing data in output is not really nice,
> in my experiences i don't lose lines, they get
> not displayed, if i use scroll-lock and pg-up, i can see the
> lines they was on the screen before i change the mode.

Are you sure? On my T43, I lose exactly 23 lines at the point my screen
switches from it's default mode. Note that I need to use VESA and
SC_PIXEL_MODE on this system. That may relate to the problem.

> If you need more lines in buffer (esp. to supress losing lines)
> you can change the default (200 lines) in your kernels.
> take a look at /usr/src/sys/conf/NOTES and
> /usr/src/i386/conf/NOTES, search "SC*BUFFER"
> but keep in mind this can make a "slideshow" like
> teleporting on your console
> :-D (remembers me to ego-shooters and jump'n'run games)

I always run a 2000 line scrollback buffer. 200 won't make it to the
start of my boot. And, it's SC_HISTORY_SIZE. I'm unclear as to what you
refer to as 'slideshow" like teleporting', though.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)

--==_Exmh_1175816588_1105P