Date:      Thu, 3 May 2007 10:23:10 +0200
From:      "Patrick M. Hausen" <hausen@punkt.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Limiting the number of probed interfaces?

Hello, all!

In former times configuring a kernel was a bit more cumbersome,
yet more straightforward than is today:

device		isa
device		sio0	at isa? port IO_COM1 flags 0x10 irq 4
device		sio1	at isa? port IO_COM2 flags 0x0 irq 3

to keep the kernel from messing with the second device
completely, you simply removed the second line.

Today I have:

device		pci
device		miibus
device		bge

I have a particular system that uses what FreeBSD 6.2 detected
as bge1 for remote console access over IP. As soon as the
interface is probed and activated by the kernel, the connection
to the remote management controller breaks.

Is there a way to limit the number of probed entities for
a certain pci device class to, say, 1 in my case?
I'd like to use bge0 for FreeBSD but the kernel should leave
everything else that might be a bge interface alone.

Thanks,
Patrick

P.S. If anyone is interested: it's a Fujitsu-Siemens iRMC on an
     RX100 server. While HP uses a dedicated port for their iLO,
     FSC decided to piggyback that function onto a regular
     network port.
--
punkt.de GmbH * Vorholzstr. 25 * 76137 Karlsruhe
Tel. 0721 9109 0 * Fax 0721 9109 100