Date:      Tue, 12 Jun 2007 09:21:08 +0200
From:      Milan Obuch <freebsd-embedded@dino.sk>
To:        freebsd-embedded@freebsd.org, Henrik Brix Andersen <henrik@brixandersen.dk>
Subject:   Re: JTAG recommendations?

On Monday 11 June 2007, Henrik Brix Andersen wrote:
> Hi,

> I searched the web for USB based JTAG cables with open source drivers,
> but there aren't many of those available, it seems. The best match
> seems to be the JTAGkey/JTAGkey-Tiny from Amontec [1] - a solution
> based on the FTDI FT2232L USB UART IC (but I think these cables are
> somewhat expensive compared to their complexity).

> The JTAG software found in the OpenOCD [3] project, however, seems to
> support USB based JTAG cables such as the JTAGkey - but it isn't in
> ports yet, so I guess this is not what other FreeBSD developers/users
> use?

If you could compile software manually and test it, I can help you with
creating a port. Not sure I am the best person to do it, but I could help a
bit.

> My question - before I choose to either bite the apple and buy a
> JTAGkey or construct my own USB JTAG cable - is: what do you
> guys'n'gals use for your everyday JTAG needs? Which cable? Which
> software?
>
> I can't be the only one in need of an modern, open source friendly
> JTAG solution :)

Well, I would like to be able to work with my S3C2410 based board fully under
FreeBSD, but I did not succeed yet to build a working kernel/loader for my
board, even JTAG adapter I got with the board works with sofware running
under Windows. It connects to parallel port, bears a WIGGLER mark on it, if
anybody has some experience with it I would like to hear.

That being said, being a bit experienced in some areas, I consider myself only
a newbie in JTAG area, I would like to ask what are you doing with JTAG?
There are still areas where one could still discover something new...

Regards,
Milan

Do not send any personal messages to it, use milan in
address instead.