Date:      Wed, 27 Jun 2007 13:29:23 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Sean C. Farley" <scf@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   setenv() update in 7-CURRENT time frame

With the release rapidly approaching, I want to know if it would be
better to move the setenv() (and family) API to POSIX (along with added
memory leak restraints).  For details on the changes, please see my
posting in the current@ and ports@[1] archives.  I ask arch@ since it
involves API changes.

I thought about holding off until the branching, but enough changes have
rolled into CURRENT to make me think that it may be acceptable.  I
received no complaints from my postings in current@ and ports@.  From
communications with Kris Kennaway, he surmised it may affect a few old
BSD-specific ports and checking would have to be done manually to find
them.

How does the idea of applying my patch[1] to CURRENT before the branch
is made sound?  While I would prefer it to make it into this release, I
understand if it would be best to wait.  I am just looking for a
definitive answer.  If I did not ask, I would feel anxious wondering if
it could have made it.  :)

Sean
   1. http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2007-May/041577.html
   2. http://www.farley.org/freebsd/tmp/setenv/setenv.diff