Date:      Tue, 25 Sep 2007 10:19:42 -0500
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>
To:        Erik Cederstrand <erik@cederstrand.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-performance@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Optimizing "make release"

--tjCHc7DPkfUGtrlw

On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 08:59:44AM +0200, Erik Cederstrand wrote:
>  Brooks Davis wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 01:34:34PM +0200, Erik Cederstrand wrote:
>  >> [...]
> >>  If I ignore documentation distfiles (will this affect benchmarks in a=
ny =20
> >> way?), AFAICT the only distribution sets I need are base, proflibs,=20
> >> kernels  and (maybe) lib32. Is there a way to get "make release" to do=
=20
> >> just that? I'm  open to other suggestions, of course.
> > To just create a working image you can just do:
> > make buildworld
> > make buildkernel
> > make DESTDIR=3D/target/directory installworld
> > make DESTDIR=3D/target/directory distribution
> > make DESTDIR=3D/target/directory installkernel
>=20
>  This doesn't seem to create the distribution sets I want. It just create=
s=20
>  the hierarchy of files which are eventually going to be on the hard-disk=
 on=20
>  the clients. I may be wrong, but it seems that to be able to use sysinst=
all=20
>  to install the clients, I need to create distribution sets like the ones=
=20
>  supplied here:
>=20
>  ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/6.2-RELEASE/

Ah, I didn't realized you wanted to do that.  If you do want to use sysinst=
all,
then you do indeed to use make release.  The various NO* options documented=
 in
the release(7) manpage and the makefile should be useful here.

That said, I can't imagine why you'd want sysinstall to be involved in
a automated benchmark system.  Doing what it does using a hand rolled
script is way easier then trying work with it.

-- Brooks

--tjCHc7DPkfUGtrlw

--tjCHc7DPkfUGtrlw--