Date:      Thu, 4 Oct 2007 23:03:04 +0400
From:      Dmitry Marakasov <amdmi3@amdmi3.ru>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Idea: static builds

Hi!

I just have an idea that may be useful: static port builds. This can
help produce packages without any depends, which may be useful
sometimes.

Implementation seem pretty straightfoward to me:
- Introduce STATIC_BUILD variable that changes usual build behavior
- Process LIB_DEPENDS in a different way: check .a instead of .so.*, and
fail if .a is missing, and .so is present (i.e. needed static lib is not
available at all), don't add library ports to package depends
- Add -static to CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS

Any comments? I will try to experiment with this for now.

--
Best regards,
  Dmitry Marakasov               mailto:amdmi3@amdmi3.ru