Date:      Sun, 11 Nov 2007 23:40:10 -0900
From:      Beech Rintoul <beech@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Olivier Nicole <on@cs.ait.ac.th>, rmarella@gmail.com
Subject:   Re: One Laptop Per Child

On Sunday 11 November 2007, Olivier Nicole said:
> > I am usually not the one to bring up these things but I feel very
> > strongly about this. Starting Monday, November 12 this website is
> > offering a give one get one deal. I believe the money will be
> > well invested. YMMV
> >
> > http://xogiving.org/
>
> That is a difficult issue, while this is an opportunity, I doubt
> this is the most needed thing to provide education. We are talking
> giving laptop to people who do not even have electricity in some
> cases...
>
> Olivier

=46rom what I've been reading they are addressing this issue. One way=20
was providing solar power recharging stations. The other was hooking=20
up carousel type playground equipment to a small generator to=20
recharge the laptops. The third was good old WWII vintage hand crank=20
power. I also read that these laptops are optimized for low power=20
usage. I live in Alaska and they have been using the internet  for=20
education in rural villiages for many years with much success. I=20
personally think this is a great idea. Too bad they won't all be=20
running FreeBSD :-)

=2D-=20
Beech Rintoul - FreeBSD Developer - beech@FreeBSD.org
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | FreeBSD Since 4.x
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail   | http://www.freebsd.org
 X  - NO Word docs in e-mail | Latest Release:
/ \  - http://www.FreeBSD.org/releases/6.2R/announce.html