Date:      Sun, 23 Dec 2007 01:19:21 +0100
From:      Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Robe <vcrobe@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Updating ports

--nextPart2614645.98ls3eoqfJ

> What's the difference between them?

The main difference that is relevant to me personally is that portmanager=20
makes no attempt to be too smart about avoiding compilation, and it is full=
y=20
restartable without affecting the results.

It rebuilds ports in such a way that the result is, in theory, supposed to =
be=20
equivalent to what you would have gotten had you installed them all from=20
scratch with your current ports tree.

In particular, given a re-build (e.g. upgraded) port X, all ports depending=
 on=20
X will also be re-built regardless of whether that is required according to=
=20
the dependency relation. This is handled in such a way that it is not=20
dependent on the entire procedure completing in one session, as you are wit=
h=20
portupgrade (meaning it's restartable, as mentioned above).

In practice, I find this is the most useful upgrading method. I have never=
=20
been able to use portupgrade for more than a week or two on a real machine=
=20
without running into issues (stale dependencies, failed builds due to weak=
=20
dependency information, etc).

That said, it's not perfect. The implementation is buggy in some ways, and=
=20
there are fundamental problems with that upgrading approach (e.g., files=20
moving between packages can cause problems).

In the end I tend to either build binary packages from scratch and use=20
portupgrade -afPP to upgrade, or do in-place upgrading with portmanager.

=2D-=20
/ Peter Schuller

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey@scode.org