Date:      Wed, 2 Jan 2008 08:01:46 +0100
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely12.cicely.de>
To:        Eric Anderson <anderson@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-fs@freebsd.org" <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ZFS i/o errors - which disk is the problem?

On Tue, Jan 01, 2008 at 10:44:43PM -0600, Eric Anderson wrote:
> I created a zpool with two new identical (500GB) SATA disks.  I rsync'ed
> a bunch of data over to the new ZFS file systems, and started seeing i/o
> errors.
>
> Here's how I created the file systems:
>
> zpool create tank mirror ad6 ad8
> zfs create tank/media
> zfs create tank/documents
> zfs set sharenfs=on tank/media
> zfs set sharenfs=on tank/documents
> zfs set atime=off tank
> zfs set mountpoint=/media tank/media
> zfs set mountpoint=/documents tank/documents
>

> Here's what zpool status says:
>
> # zpool status
>   pool: tank
>  state: ONLINE
> status: One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data
>         corruption.  Applications may be affected.
> action: Restore the file in question if possible.  Otherwise restore the
>         entire pool from backup.
>    see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-8A
>  scrub: scrub completed with 731 errors on Tue Jan  1 15:17:08 2008
> config:
>
>         NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
>         tank        ONLINE       0     0 1.47K
>           mirror    ONLINE       0     0 1.47K
>             ad6     ONLINE       0     0 5.12K
>             ad8     ONLINE       0     0 4.66K
>
> How can I tell which drive gave the problems, or where the problem came
> from?   I see several errors in /var/log/messages, like:
>
> ZFS: zpool I/O failure, zpool=tank error=86

zpool status -v should tell you more details.
But it is not required, since the message below is enough.

> and many many of these:
>
> ZFS: checksum mismatch, zpool=tank path=/dev/ad6 offset=31970426880
> size=131072
>
> for both the ad6 and ad8 devices.

So you have crc errors on both drives.

> I'm happy to swap the drive out, but I don't know which is the problem.
>   I was also wondering if it was a saturated I/O issue on the system
> (it's a fairly slow and poky old box).

The errors mean that silently data written to disk were not the same
when they were read back.
I doubt that this are the drives, but if they are identic it is possible
of course, since firmware bugs are not impossible.
More likely you have a problematic ata controller or maybe defective
ram.

--
B.Walter                http://www.bwct.de      http://www.fizon.de
bernd@bwct.de           info@bwct.de            support@fizon.de