Date:      Thu, 13 Mar 2008 12:22:57 -0600
From:      "Rick C. Petty" <rick-freebsd@kiwi-computer.com>
To:        lulf@stud.ntnu.no
Cc:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [patch] geom_vinum platform fixes

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 03:35:51PM +0100, lulf@stud.ntnu.no wrote:

> I've spent a _lot_ of time fixing gvinum, so your previous statements
> saying noone is fixing gvinum really is wrong :)

Sorry, I didn't mean to be offensive or to downplay your work.  I was
referring to the fact that nothing vinum-related has been committed into
geom_vinum in over 11 months.  I am aware you were working on various fixes
in p4, and I do appreciate your efforts.

However, the particular areas I was interested in have been bugs since the
introduction of plain vinum many years ago.  I also didn't think your work
addressed this particular issue.  Since it has been a few weeks since 7.0
was tagged, I had assumed you were not going to continue working on this.

>   I'm sorry this is taking so
> long, but there has been much time invested in 7.0 before gvinum. I'm
> also in Japan for another two weeks, so I won't be able to continue a
> discussion on this right now.
>
> But I agree with your changes, and  I'll review and integrate your changes
> to the new code base ASAP, but this will probably not go in until the
> new gvinum
>  codebase iscommitted, since that will probably happen before 7.1/6.4 anyway

I'm not sure I want to wait that long.  My changes should not conflict with
yours (and if they do, the overlap would be minimal).  I don't see why the
world should wait until 7.1 to see this fixed.  Right now, people cannot
migrate vinum partitions between i386 and amd64.  These people don't need
all your improvements for that.  Besides, my small patch introduces little
to no instability to geom_vinum and fixes a key piece of broken code.
Compared to your larger commit, I would think people would prefer to see my
patch committed immediately and your work to be integrated when you have
time to test and commit it.

That being said and since there have been no objections to my suggestions
(and Ulf agrees with my changes), is a committer willing to review my
patch?  le@ ?  Mr. Lehey?

-- Rick C. Petty