Date:      Sat, 12 Apr 2008 13:20:19 +0200
From:      Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Roman Divacky <rdivacky@FreeBSD.org>, kib@FreeBSD.org, rwatson@FreeBSD.garage.freebsd.pl, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: final decision about *at syscalls

--rV8arf8D5Dod9UkK

On Thu, Dec 20, 2007 at 11:38:55AM -0500, John Baldwin wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 December 2007 04:22:22 am Roman Divacky wrote:
> > Dear arch@
> >=20
> > Over this summer I was working (among other things) on *at family of sy=
scalls
> > kindly sponsored by Google (in their Summer of Code). The resulting pat=
ch is=20
> > almost finished but I need to decide one design question. If you are no=
t interested=20
> > in *at/namei feel free to skip this mail.
> >=20
> > The *at syscalls are a threads-oriented extension to basic file syscall=
s (think
> > of open(), fstat(), etc.) adding the possibility to specify from where =
the search
> > for relative path should start.
> >=20
> > image that we have /tmp/foo/bar
> >=20
> > and CWD is set to "/tmp/", and the process has opened "foo" as dirfd. w=
ith ordinary
> > open() syscall you have to either
> >=20
> > 	chdir("/tmp/foo");open("./bar");
> >=20
> > or
> >=20
> > 	open("/tmp/foo/bar");
> >=20
> > The first approach is problematic because it changes CWD for all thread=
s in the process,
> > the second is prone to race-conditions as some of the components of the=
 path can
> > change in parallel with the "open".
> >=20
> > So POSIX introduced a new API, called "Extended API set part 2, ISBN: 1=
-931624-67-4" (at
> > least this was the latest when I looked last time), which solves that b=
y introducing "*at"
> > syscalls that supply an fd of previously opened directory which is used=
 instead of CWD
> > for searching relative path, ie. the previous example becomes
> >=20
> >    dirfd =3D open("/tmp/foo"); openat("foo", dirfd);
> >=20
> > I implemented the whole API as native FreeBSD syscalls + in linuxulator=
 emulation layer.
> > Here's the problem:
> >=20
> > There are two approaches to the name translation from "filedescriptor" =
to the "vnode".
> >=20
> > 1) we can do it in the kern_fooat() syscall and pass namei() the result=
ing vnode
> > 2) we can pass namei() the filedescriptor and do the translation there
> >=20
> > PROs of #1:
> >=20
> > 	o	namei() does not need to know about the curthread, you can use this =
*at
> > 		ability for different purposes, it's cleaner (imho)
> [...]

It looks like I'm a bit too late, but anyway...

=46rom what you write John, #1 is a better choice than #2. If you want to
avoid races, you can pass already locked vnode. In case of file
descriptors, if p_fd is not locked another thread can close and open
different directory under the same descriptor number.

I also need such functionality for recent ZFS and #2 makes it impossible
to use it. NDINIT_AT() is kernel (VFS) API so it should operate on
vnodes, not file descriptor numbers, IMHO.

For completness can you Kostik and Robert provide your arguments against
#1?

--=20
pjd@FreeBSD.org                           http://www.FreeBSD.org

--rV8arf8D5Dod9UkK