Date:      Thu, 31 Jul 2008 23:10:15 +0100
From:      Anton Shterenlikht <mexas@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   future for FBSD on alpha

I wonder how many people run FBSD on alpha.
According to bsdstats.org very few - less than 5 boxes.
There must be more.

Is there a way to find out how many people are on this list?
Is it a good indicator?

I, for one, am very keen to have some level of support
for FBSD on alpha, even at 6-stable branch. However,
if the actual usage is indeed very small, it must be expected
that ports maintainers will stop supporting alpha soon.

I'm trying to find out if there are people on this list, who,
like myself, are keen to see FBSD supported on alpha
for say 1-3 more years. If yes, we might be able to lobby
ports maintainers not to drop support for alpha ports.

I'm thinking at the moment about gcc42, firefox3, lapack, lapack95,
blas.

many thanks
anton

--