Date:      Mon, 18 Aug 2008 22:21:10 +0000 (UTC)
From:      "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bz@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <alfred@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-usb@freebsd.org
Subject:   usb4bsd patch review [was Re: ...]

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

Hi Alfred,

CC:ing freebsd-usb for additional review.

A few initial comments on the patch

> The delta is here:
>  http://mu.org/~bright/usb4bsd.diff.gz

The patch only includes kernel parts, is there any impact on userland?

There are various style bugs introduced. That could be fixed easily I
guess?

In kern/subr_bus.c you are taking steps to avoid zero size
allocations, which haven't been there up to now. Why do we need that?

There is a question about whether to avoid the conditional locking in
dev/sound/pcm/channel.c in favour of recursive locking?

The locking in dev/sound/pcm/mixer.c appears to be strange; the
locking appears to have substantially changed without corresponding
changes to the non-USB drivers.

Some of the new sound drivers are Giant-locked?  I am not sure we
should be adding new drivers that are not mpsafe.

There seems to be a README.TXT but no manpages for the new API or
drivers.  Are these pending?

Some of the files have $FreeBSD$ strings already expanded, probably
because they were copied from existing files.

Why is the diff to compat/ndis/ntoskrnl_var.h necessary?

Regards,
Bjoern, Kris, Ed S., Ollivier
(sitting together at king's, cam.ac.uk devsummit)

--
Bjoern A. Zeeb              Stop bit received. Insert coin for new game.