Date:      Fri, 10 Oct 2008 02:34:28 +0300
From:      yurtesen@ispro.net
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, yurtesen@ispro.net, "Shaun Amott" <shaun@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Sean Bruno" <sbruno@miralink.com>, "Oliver Fromme" <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
Subject:   Re: continuous backup solution for FreeBSD

Quoting "Oliver Fromme" <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>:

> These features are readily available right now on FreeBSD.
> You don't have to code anything.

Well with 2 downsides,

The fact that I still would need to take full backups once in a while =20
if I do this and Linux users do not have to because the CDP software =20
on Linux does not need to do this. The software expires the old data =20
automatically and you only need a full backup at first run only.

The bigger problem is that I have to convert all my filesystems to =20
ZFS. Can one convert UFS2 to ZFS easily even? I dont wanna spend a =20
large part of the year doing such job while Linux users can just do =20
this on 'any' filesystem they use. How am I suppose to compete with =20
companies which use Linux otherwise if I am doing this sort of tasks =20
all the time?

Thanks for all the advices but my original question was if somebody =20
can give inside information to a company(for example r1soft) which is =20
writing CDP backup solutions so they could implement such solution on =20
FreeBSD also. Do you know such person?

I am not really looking for alternatives because there is none. You =20
cant just expect commercial companies to convert to a new filesystem =20
to add a feature which other OSes manage without going to such =20
measures. Can you imagine the monetary cost if all FreeBSD users had =20
to convert to ZFS (or another filesystem) to take near cdp level =20
backups? This simply would make people think 'I wish I used Linux from =20
the beginning'.

Thanks,
Evren