Date:      Tue, 05 May 2009 08:17:01 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        tinguely@casselton.net
Cc:        channa.kad@gmail.com, freebsd-arm@freebsd.org, venkiece2005@gmail.com
Subject:   Re: strncmp issue

In message: <200905051317.n45DHtKW044428@casselton.net>
            Mark Tinguely <tinguely@casselton.net> writes:
:
: >  I have tested strncmp("abcdefg", "abcdefh", 6) without beq   2f.
: >  It returns zero not -1.
: >
: >  I have checked with conditional assembler but not normal assembler.
: >  The beq 2f  is required for normal assembler.
: >  Right/Wrong?
:
: Yes, the compiler with FreeBSD-current needs the "beq 2f".
:
: Can can one do 2 unconditional "cmp" in sequence without losing the condition
: codes of the first "cmp"?
:
: I am sure this is becoming a 'bikeshed' topic. I built way more than my
: share of the shed. So, as long as it works, I will be happy.

Is the hand rolled assembler still better than what gcc can produce?

Warner