Date:      Sun, 28 Feb 2010 21:13:25 +0100
From:      Martin Tournoij <carpetsmoker@rwxrwxrwx.net>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Cc:        falkman@gamozo.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Popularity

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 12:49:23PM -0600, Brandon Falk wrote:
> Why is it that FreeBSD is so far behind Linux in popularity? The fact
> that lots of companies are not very supportive of FreeBSD (ex. NVIDIA
> and ATI 64-bit drivers) is really starting to bother me.

The reason there are no 64bit nVidia drivers is because the FreeBSD kernel is
missing some features that are needed for this. (I believe there are beta
64bit drivers now though?).
In any case, it is hardly fair to blame nvidia.

> I guess I would like to have a bit of a discussion of what could be improved
> to increase the popularity of FreeBSD.

Nothing. FreeBSD has no plans or illusions to take over the world.

> Any opinions/ideas on this situation?

There is no situation.

--
Martin Tournoij