Date:      Thu, 10 Jun 2010 14:32:23 +0200
From:      Jonathan McKeown <j.mckeown@ru.ac.za>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Midphase Hosting

On Thursday 10 June 2010 14:06:46 Rob Farmer wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 4:24 AM, Matthias Fechner <idefix@fechner.net>
wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Am 10.06.10 11:47, schrieb Jonathan McKeown:
> >> Subject: [#24548754] Re: why does ps |grep sometimes not return itself?
> >> Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 02:46:31 -0500
> >> From: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
> >
> > I suggest to block on the freebsd server the complete domain
> > mpcustomer.com that should solve the problem.
>
> I haven't received any of the messages, but I think they are being
> sent directly to list posters (not via the list) so FreeBSD can't
> really do much about it. If mpcustomer.com refuses to deal with it you
> can always try complaining to their upstream provider, taking the line
> that since the messages are unsolicited and there is no way to
> unsubscribe the practice is probably illegal.

Well, yes, the message is being sent direct to list posters, but
support@mpcustomer.com (or some address that's relaying to it) is presumably
subscribed to the list (which I'm guessing was done maliciously), otherwise
they wouldn't be receiving these messages.

I know it creates work for the admins, but couldn't their address be
unsubscribed and banned, given that they have been creating a nuisance for at
least the last several weeks now?

Jonathan