Date:      Sun, 15 Aug 2010 22:49:32 -0700
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   It's annoying when something other than rsyncd listens on tco/873

--6WlEvdN9Dv0WHSBl

My build machine is noisy & generates heat, so I leave it powered off
when it's not actively in use.

As a consequence, it gets rebooted rather often.

It is configured to run rsyncd(8) so I can update my laptop's local mirror
of the FreeBSD SVN repository.

A couple of mornings ago, I woke up, ready to start my daily builds (on
the laptop & build machine), but noticed that the SVN mirror on the
laptop hadn't been updated.  Eventually, I discovered that the reason
was that amd(8) [on the build machine] was listening on 873/tcp, which
is the port for rsync.  I restarted amd(8); it happened to get other
ports, so I restarted rsyncd(8), and was able to perfomr the mirroring.

Mind, that was the first time since around February that I've had a
problem with using rsyncd(8) in this fashion.

Since then, I've become a bit ... sensitized .... to the issue, so a
quick "sockstat -4l" immediately after powering it on helps avoid ths
sort of thing.

So this evening, such a check showed that ypbind(8) was listening on
873/tcp.

The most straightforward way to make this a non-issue (it seems to me)
would be to start rsyncd(8) before other services that grab arbitrary
ports; however, the start-up script for rsyncd s[ecifies:

# PROVIDE: rsyncd
# REQUIRE: LOGIN
# BEFORE:  securelevel
# KEYWORD: shutdown

and both amd & ypbind specify

# BEFORE:  DAEMON

so that approach doesn't seem to quite work out.

(I note that I recently stopped tracking stable/7 on the build machine,
so I now boot into stable/8; perhaps something changed between stable/7
and stable/8 that inicreases the probability of such an unfortunate
collsion.)

Also, rsyncd(8) doesn't appear to consider this a condition worthy of
note -- at least, I wasn't able to find any whines, and the daemon was
still running.

Anyone have suggestions for avoiding a recurrence (vs. working around
the coiindition should one occur)?

Thanks!

Peace,
david
--=20
Depriving a girl or boy of an opportunity for education is evil.

--6WlEvdN9Dv0WHSBl

--6WlEvdN9Dv0WHSBl--