Date:      Mon, 24 Jan 2011 19:42:23 -0600
From:      "J. Porter Clark" <jpc@porterclark.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to label a GELI device

I have an encrypted partition, /dev/da0s1d.  I can use geli
attach da0s1d and obtain a device /dev/da0s1d.eli, which is a
UFS filesystem.  All that works just fine.

I'd like to label /dev/da0s1d so that I don't have to refer to
the exact drive number, etc., which might change if I reboot
with a USB stick in the system or whatever.  But glabel puts the
label in the last sector, which is where GELI stores metadata.

So, how do I make this work?

--
J. Porter Clark      <jpc@porterclark.com>