Date:      Wed, 18 May 2011 09:07:02 +0200
From:      Bernhard Schmidt <bschmidt@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org
Cc:        Aleksandr Rybalko <ray@dlink.ua>
Subject:   Re: Ralink RT3090/RT2860

On Wednesday, May 18, 2011 08:22:26 Matt wrote:
> I recently was using a machine with this chipset.
> I noticed there is a patch available from Alexandr Rybalko which
> compiles successfully against current.
>
> Seems to work great with rt3090 chipset, although device naming is poor
> (ending a device name with 0 makes for confusion!). Stability is high
> (better than my Intel Centrino 1000) and it appears ahdemo, monitor, sta
> modes all work fine. A few dmesg errors which appear to result from
> issues that are patched in both OpenBSD, Solaris & the official Ralink
> GPL drivers (LNA Gain is ignored for 3090 and set manually).

Care to explain why it is "better" then the Intel 1000? I'm not
aware of any issues, if there are some, I want to know about that
so I can actually have a look at it..

> What is the FreeBSD plan for this chipset? Is Rybalko's code still a
> patch and not a commit due to licensing? Are we going to try to port
> OpenBSD's ral to replace our own? It would also appear to be supported
> by Solaris code, which appears to be slightly different than both
> Rybalko's and OpenBSD's (which appear to share some heritage).

I'll work with Aleksandr on getting a driver for the newer Ralink
chips into the tree once I'm happy with the iwn(4) HT bits. You
already named the issues the driver port has, it is based on the
OpenBSD code but obscured so it is (almost) impossible to track
updates/fixes, this needs to be addressed before the driver can
be committed. While there I'd also want to make it a extension to
ral(4) like OpenBSD does.

--
Bernhard