Date:      Tue, 26 Jul 2011 09:13:20 -0700
From:      Chip Camden <sterling@camdensoftware.com>
To:        FreeBSD Ports ML <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Time to mark portupgrade deprecated?

--p2kqVDKq5asng8Dg

Quoth Torfinn Ingolfsen on Tuesday, 26 July 2011:
<snip>
> > From what i hear, people are happy with the
> > management of ports in OpenBSD, while most of people i hear are very
> > unhappy with FreeBSD ports.
>=20
> I would say that "most people your hear" isn't a representative subset
> of all the people who use ports.
> In my experience anyway.

Right.  Don't say "most people" unless you can back it up with a
statistically significant sampling.  I expect the experiences of FreeBSD
users vary much more than "most people" imagine.  Those who have serious
difficulties with the ports system may wrongly imagine that all FreeBSD
users have the same less than delightful experience.  Personally, even
though I've run into a few issues with ports, I prefer the current system
of building from source.  Of course I welcome improvements, but not at
the expense of the flexibility we enjoy.

--=20
=2EO. | Sterling (Chip) Camden      | http://camdensoftware.com
=2E.O | sterling@camdensoftware.com | http://chipsquips.com
OOO | 2048R/D6DBAF91              | http://chipstips.com