Date:      Thu, 23 Feb 2012 13:33:44 -0800
From:      YongHyeon PYUN <pyunyh@gmail.com>
To:        sbruno@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bge(4) failure, Dell 12G hardware, BCM5720C

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 04:58:48PM -0800, Sean Bruno wrote:
> Trying some hackery today in my netboot environment with the Dell 12G
> R620.  I had to disable some bios calls in bios.c after reviewing an
> email from Doug Ambrisko, and I see a pretty hard failure of bge(4) on
> stable/7 with yahoo modifications on i386.
>
> I've tried disabling msi via:
> ==== //depot/yahoo/ybsd_7/src/sys/dev/bge/if_bge.c#49
> - /home/seanbru/ybsd_7/src/sys/dev/bge/if_bge.c ====
> 5633c5633
> <       sc->bge_msi = 1;
> ---
> >       sc->bge_msi = 0;
>
> This quieted a lot of errors but the interface still appears to be non
> functional.
>

> http://people.freebsd.org/~sbruno/dell_12g_bgesysctl.txt
> http://people.freebsd.org/~sbruno/dell_12g_pciconf.txt
> http://people.freebsd.org/~sbruno/dell_12g_dmesg.txt
>

> Sean

As you see ukphy(4) was attached to bge2 so it may cause various
issues.
Is bge2 ASF/IPMI enabled interface?  It seems ASF handling in
bge(4) causes more trouble on recent controllers.  Unfortunately
disabling ASF may also trigger other problems like NMI.
I believe bge(4) should always honor ASF/IMPI firmware instead of
relying on hw.bge.allow_asf tunable and have to strictly follow
firmware handshake sequence.  Just ignoring ASF/IMPI firmware seems
to confuse firmware.
Unfortunately all these information is undocumented and fixing it
requires real hardware access.