Date:      Mon, 11 Mar 2013 23:11:58 +0200
From:      Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
To:        Lev Serebryakov <lev@serebryakov.spb.ru>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Sm??rgrav <des@des.no>, arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unmapped buffers: to be merged in several days

--JU1P3uBe1BU9Y2xT

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 01:04:25AM +0400, Lev Serebryakov wrote:
> Hello, Konstantin.
> You wrote 11 =CD=C1=D2=D4=C1 2013 =C7., 22:24:54:
>=20
> KB> If the class does need to access the bio data, to be marked
> KB> unmapped-processing, the class should be rewritten. Now, the class
> KB> should verify is the bio passed is mapped or not, and process the pag=
es
> KB> passed in the bio_ma array instead of bio_data. The involved example =
is
> KB> sys/dev/md/md.c.
>  Will GEOM class, which needs to touch data (like raid3 or my off-tree
> raid5), benefit from conversion, compare to generic mechanism,
> provided for not-converted by your patch?

First, what do you mean by 'benefit'. Answer would obviously depend
on the criteria.

Second, I do not think that any wizard can usefully answer this question,
for usual criteria like speed or code maintanability.

FWIW, I tried to get an Intel documentation for IOAT engine which should
allow to perform the XOR checksumming of the unmapped buffers, suitable
for e.g. hardware-assisted software raid5, but did not succeeded.

--JU1P3uBe1BU9Y2xT

--JU1P3uBe1BU9Y2xT--