Date:      Mon, 31 Mar 2014 12:17:57 +0900 (JST)
From:      Hiroki Sato <hrs@FreeBSD.org>
To:        dteske@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        jhellenthal@dataix.net, rc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: network.subr _aliasN handling

----Security_Multipart(Mon_Mar_31_12_17_57_2014_569)--

<dteske@FreeBSD.org> wrote
  in <04f701cf4c85$d1929680$74b7c380$@FreeBSD.org>:

dt> But that wouldn't have deterred me. 30+ days of
dt> silence is equivalent to acceptance -- just that I
dt> had noticed that the patch could be expanded to
dt> include mdconfig{,2} scripts. Was going to wait a
dt> full day to see if anyone balked at the expansion
dt> to include mdconfig{,2} and then move forward.

 I like the direction in general, but there are two more comments:

 1. sort(1) cannot be used in rc.d/mdconfig and should not be used in
    rc.d/netif because it is before rc.d/mountcritremote.  It is one
    of the reasons why a loop is used for fooN variables instead of
    symbol table lookup.

    This may be a controversial point because our installer is now
    using a single partition for whole of the base system.  However,
    rc.d/ scripts have been implemented in consideration of / and /usr
    separation and it gives configuration flexibility.  I personally
    think we should avoid grep, sort, etc. in scripts before
    mountcritremote whenever possible, and must be used in ones before
    mountcritlocal.

    And another question: is the order important in practice?  I am
    wondering if dropping sort(1) is harmful except that the behavior
    is not intuitive.

 2. Please put the normalization part into a function and use it in
    get_if_var(), too.  Adding another code for the same functionality
    makes maintenance difficult.  It degrades the performance a bit
    but I think maintainability is more important for that.

-- Hiroki