Date:      Sun, 6 Jul 2014 15:33:59 +0300
From:      Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
To:        Stefan Parvu <sparvu@systemdatarecorder.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: run-queue length question

--aq8B+PobjgurrfqM

On Sun, Jul 06, 2014 at 02:32:12PM +0300, Stefan Parvu wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> Im trying to understand what FreeBSD kernel counts for run-queue length.=
=20
>=20
> Traditional we count as queue length: number of processes which are runni=
ng plus=20
> the number that are runnable (waiting to execute) - we *dont* count proce=
sses waiting=20
> for storage, network etc.=20
>=20
> Linux kernel has added into run-queue length the iowait processes which m=
akes
> load average values big and disproportionate to the reality for example d=
uring=20
> disk io tests.
>=20
> How does FreeBSD handle this part ? Is the queue length simple the number=
 of=20
> running processes + waiting to run or not as we used to have in UNIX worl=
d ?

It is the Linux which follows the traditional definition of the load,
by counting running, ready to run and 'blocked on the fast i/o' processes
as adding to the load average.  Also, I remember that FreeBSD up to 4.x
followed this definition.

Sometime during the 5.x rewrites the load was redefined to only count
running + ready to run threads, which is the current definition, used by LA.

--aq8B+PobjgurrfqM

--aq8B+PobjgurrfqM--