Date:      Thu, 24 Jul 2014 13:57:04 -0400
From:      Shawn Webb <lattera@gmail.com>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        PaX Team <pageexec@freemail.hu>, Pedro Giffuni <pfg@freebsd.org>, Oliver Pinter <oliver.pntr@gmail.com>, Bryan Drewery <bdrewery@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [RFC] ASLR Whitepaper and Candidate Final Patch

--iiZKCn1f/U0ES2iY

On Jul 22, 2014 08:45 PM -0400, Shawn Webb wrote:
> On Jul 23, 2014 12:28 AM +0100, Robert Watson wrote:
> > On Sun, 20 Jul 2014, Shawn Webb wrote:
> >=20
> > >
> > > So I have an old Dell Latitude E6500 that I bought at Defcon a year or
> > > so ago that I'm doing testing on. Even though it's quite an underpowe=
red
> > > laptop, I'm running ZFS on it for BE support (in case one of our chan=
ges
> > > kills it). I'll run unixbench on it a few times to benchmark the ASLR
> > > patch. I'll test these three scenarios:
> > >    1) ASLR compiled in and enabled;
> > >    2) ASLR compiled in and disabled;
> > >    3) ASLR compiled out (GENERIC kernel).
> > >
> > > In each of these three scenarios, I'll have the kernel debugging feat=
ures=20
> > > (WITNESS, INVARIANTS, etc.) turned off to better simulate a productio=
n=20
> > > system and to remove just one more variable in the tests.
> > >
> > > I'll run unixbench ten times under each scenario and I'll compute ave=
rages.

> > > Since this is an older laptop (and it's running ZFS), these tests wil=
l take=20
> > > a couple days. I'll have an answer for you soon.
> >=20
> > Hi Shawn:
> >=20
> > Great news that this work is coming to fruition -- ASLR is long overdue.
> >=20
> > Are you having any luck with performance measurements?  Unixbench seems=
 like a=20
> > good starting point, but I wonder if it would be useful to look, in=20
> > particular, at memory-mapping intensive workloads that might be affecte=
d as a=20
> > result of changes in kernel VM data-structure use, or greater fragmenta=
tion of=20
> > the address space.  I'm not sure I have a specific application here in =
mind --=20
> > in the past I might have pointed out tools such as ElectricFence that t=
end to=20
> > increase fragmentation themselves.
>=20
> The unixbench tests on that laptop have finished. However, I've been
> fighting a pesky migraine these last couple days, so I haven't had the
> opportunity to aggregate the results into a nice little spreadsheet. I'm
> hoping to finish it up by the end of the week.
>=20
> I'll take a look at ElectricFence this weekend. Additionally, I have a
> netbook somewhere. Once I find it and its power cord, I'll install
> FreeBSD/x86 and re-run the same tests on that.
>=20
> >=20
> > Also, could you say a little more about the effects that the change mig=
ht have=20
> > on transparent superpage use -- other than suitable alignment of large=
=20
> > mappings, it's not clear to me what effect it might have.
> [...]

The unixbench results are in. The overall scores are below.

ASLR Disabled: 456.33
ASLR Enabled:  357.05
No ASLR:       474.03

I've uploaded the raw results to
http://0xfeedface.org/~shawn/aslr/2014-07-24_benchmark.tar.gz

Take these results with a grain of salt, given that some of unixbench's
test are filesystem-related and I'm running ZFS on an old laptop with
little RAM. It does show that there is a performance impact when ASLR is
enabled.

Within the last day, I have made some changes to clean up the code
backing our ASLR implementation that would enhance the performance when
ASLR is enabled. I'll re-run the tests when ASLR is enabled starting
tonight and I'll have a new set of results tomorrow.

I'll also give ElectricFence a try. Those results will come later.

Thanks,

Shawn

--iiZKCn1f/U0ES2iY

--iiZKCn1f/U0ES2iY--