Date:      Sun, 22 Feb 2015 09:19:56 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        cpet <cpet@sdf.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: why would I get a segmentation fault on one system but not the other?

On Sat, 21 Feb 2015 17:03:50 -0600, cpet wrote:
> As well as don't use stable on a production box as STABLE doesn't mean
> what it means.

STABLE means that the API/ABI is stable. Unlike HEAD (CURRENT),
STABLE still is actually _stable_ in most cases, so it's a valid
solution for production systems (given that you're prepared well,
and you know what you're doing). I'm running STABLE on few
production machines myself (where this is needed), but I usually
prefer (and often recommend) using RELEASE and add the security
patches when they are available.

STABLE does _not_ mean it's an experimental branch such as HEAD.
In HEAD, you might experience the following things:

	(a) system doesn't even build

	(b) system builds, but crashes

	(c) system works perfectly fine

In cases of (a) and (b), updating your sources a few hours later
may turn the whole thing into case (c). Also note that a feature
tested in HEAD _may_ disappear. HEAD is "filtered" to STABLE, and
STABLE is "filtered" to RELEASE.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany