Date:      Sun, 8 Mar 2015 17:35:52 -0500
From:      "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@over-yonder.net>
To:        Steven Hartland <killing@multiplay.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RFC: Pass TRIM through GELI

On Sun, Mar 08, 2015 at 01:28:57PM +0000 I heard the voice of
Steven Hartland, and lo! it spake thus:

> I don't see where your checking if the underlying device supports DELETE?

>From my understanding (which is hardly authoritative, to be sure, so
I'm open to correction), I don't have to.  GELI itself doesn't
originate any BIO_DELETE's, so they're only coming from stuff on top
of us.  We just pass those through to what's underneath us and it does
all the answering.  If that doesn't support it, it would return an "I
don't do that" response, which the filesystem (or whatever) on top of
us handles[0] its way.  So for _DELETE, as for _FLUSH and _GETATTR,
GELI is just transparent.

Am I mistaken?

[0] Well, or doesn't, but that's it's problem, not ours.

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd@over-yonder.net