Date:      Thu, 12 Jan 2017 11:00:07 -0800
From:      Karl Young <karly@kipshouse.org>
To:        Greg Byshenk <freebsd@byshenk.net>
Subject:   Re: NFS and amd on older FreeBSD

Thanks Greg

One correction.  The new server is FreeBSD 9.2, not 9.3.  Replies below

Greg Byshenk(freebsd@byshenk.net)@2017.01.12 08:58:16 +0100:
> On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 03:47:37PM -0800, Karl Young wrote:
> > I inherited a lab that has a few hundred hosts running FreeBSD 7.2.
> > These hosts run test scripts that access files that are stored on
> > FreeBSD 6.3 host.  The 6.3 host exports a /data directory with NFS
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > $ showmount -e  9.3-host
> > Exports list on 9.3-host:
> > /data                           Everyone
> >
> > But I can't automount it:
> >
> > $ ls -l /net/9.3-host/data
> > ls: /net/9.3-host/data: No such file or directory
> >
> > If I manually mount the exported directory, it works:
> >
> > $ sudo mount -t nfs 9.3-host:/data /mnt/data/
> > $ mount | grep nfs
> > 9.3-host:/data on /mnt/data (nfs)
> >
> > $ ls -l /mnt/data
> > total 4
> > drwxr-xr-x  9 root  wheel  512 Dec 20 17:41 iaf2
> >
> > I've spent some time on Google, but haven't found a solution.  I realize
> > these are very old versions, but I'm not in a position to upgrade them
> > right now.  My last resort will be to use /etc/fstab to do the NFS
> > mount, but I'd rather avoid that if I can.
>
> If you can mount the share manually, there is almost
> certainly nothing wrong with the server. Based on the
> error ("No such file or directory"), I would recommend
> checking your amd config on the client.

Yes, that makes sense, but I'm using the same client in both cases.  In
rc.conf on client, I have:

	nfs_reserved_port_only="YES"
	nfs_client_enable="YES"
	amd_enable="YES"

And ps shows the amd process started with these flags:

/usr/sbin/amd -p -a /.amd_mnt -l syslog /host /etc/amd.map /net /etc/amd.map

amd.map is the default

$ cat /etc/amd.map
# $FreeBSD: src/etc/amd.map,v 1.10.8.1 2009/04/15 03:14:26 kensmith Exp
# $
#
/defaults       type:=host;fs:=${autodir}/${rhost}/host;rhost:=${key}
*               opts:=rw,grpid,resvport,vers=3,proto=tcp,nosuid,nodev

This is the same default amd.map as 9.2.

Another data point: I see the same behavior with a 9.2 client:  I can
automount a share from my 6.3 server, but not from the 9.2 server.

Thanks

-karl