Date:      Sun, 15 Jan 2017 15:42:06 -0600
From:      Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu>
To:        Meny Yossefi <menyy@mellanox.com>
Cc:        "doc@FreeBSD.org" <doc@FreeBSD.org>, Hans Petter Selasky <hanss@mellanox.com>, re@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Mellanox as an HW vendor in FreeBSD 9.x (and above) HW notes

On Sun, Jan 15, 2017 at 03:38:06PM +0000, Meny Yossefi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My name is Meny and I'm leading Mellanox's FreeBSD team these days, developing Ethernet and InfiniBand drivers for our ConnectX NICs.
>
> We came across the FreeBSD 11.0 hardware notes and found that we were not included in the list although we have an Ethernet and InfiniBand driver since FreeBSD 9.1.
>
> https://www.freebsd.org/releases/11.0R/relnotes.html
>

> Can you please let me know what is the procedure for adding us as a vendor?

As I understand it, the hardware notes are generated automatically via
certain portions of certain manual pages.

It looks like that takes the form of &hwlist.<drivername>; entities in
(e.g.) ^/base/head/release/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/hardware/article.xml, with
the hwlist entities being generated by
^/base/head/release/doc/share/misc/man2hwnotes.pl.  I don't know offhand
whether mlx5en.4 is formatted properly for that script, but it seems that
at a minimum, the &hwlist.mlx5en; entity needs to be added to the release
notes sources.

I've cc'd re@FreeBSD.org, since they have change control over the release
notes and would need to make or approve such a change.

-Ben