Date:      Mon, 27 Feb 2017 11:56:47 -0800
From:      bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net>
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Odd-looking serial console prompt on RPI2

Recently the serial console prompt on an RPI2 running
FreeBSD 12.0-CURRENT #15 r314322

has become corrupted. The initial output from U-boot and
the early part of the boot phase looks normal, but here it goes off:

Release APs
WARNING: WITNESS option enabled, expect reduced performance.
random: unblocking device.
Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/mmcsd0s2a [rw,noatime]...
warning: no time-of-day clock registered, system time will not be set accurately
Setting hostid: 0x908fd2cStarting file system che/dev/mmcsd0s2a: FILE SYSN; SKIPPKS
/dev2a: clea66 free rags, 13cks, 1.9ntation)/dev/da0p3: FILE SYSTEM KIPPING /dev/da0n, 45357(260308 34432 bl2% fragm)
/dev/da0p4: FILE SYSTEM KIPPING /dev/da0n, 3663539 fragsblocks, 0gmentati/dev/da0p1: FILE SYSTEM KIPPING /dev/da0n, 16010(118 fra18 blockfragmentMounting local file syste.
ELF ldconfig path: /lib  /usr/li /usr/lo/usr/loccc48 /uslib/grapr/local//usr/locpencollalocal/li5.20/macusr/loca4 /usr/lm37/lib al/llvm3Setting hostname: www.ze.
Feeding entropy:.

There are a few dropped characters in the output from fsck, for example.

Finally, the login prompt looks like this:

n: eBSD/arm (www.zefottyu0)

Any attempt to type causes the line above to repeat without echo of the
typed characters at each keystroke.

If anybody has a hint what's wrong I'd be grateful. One thing I haven't
done is reboot the host driving the FTDI usb-serial adapter. It's been
perfectly stable for more than a month running r311959, so it seems an
unlikely culprit.

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska