Date:      Sat, 16 Sep 2017 02:37:15 +1000 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        "Steve O'Hara-Smith" <steve@sohara.org>, Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Restoring sc console look and feel with vt

In freebsd-questions Digest, Vol 693, Issue 5, Message: 1
On Thu, 14 Sep 2017 07:41:19 -0600 (MDT)
Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com> wrote:
 > On Sat, 9 Sep 2017, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
 >
 > > On Sat, 9 Sep 2017 07:49:32 -0600 (MDT)
 > > Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com> wrote:

 > >> I think that's correct.  There are a bunch of technologies involved,
 > >> including kernel mode switching (video drivers) and possibly UEFI, and
 > >> the gop command might only have appeared recently.  Somebody(TM) ought
 > >> to try to get a comprehensive overview of how it all ties together and
 > >> write an article.
 > >
 > > 	I'm not seeing a gop command on my 11.1 box.
 >
 > It's a loader command.

And as far as I can tell, entirely undocumented - though looking at the
commit messages for the file mentioned below might be helpful; I gave up
before trying.  As mentioned, I'd grep'd source of mans for loader.conf
and pretty much everything else to do with booting and loader; not to
say I didn't miss something obvious to someone who actually knows this.

Sorry about breaking threading by (albeit carefully) replying to the
digests, but to not waste the quite some time put into hunting this:

https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2017-September/278783.html

That is, check /usr/src/sys/boot/efi/loader/arch/amd64/framebuffer.c

So if this file appears in 11.1 - or 10.3? - then maybe somebody can
figure out what parameters might be fed to gop(0) and to what effect;
reading the whole code sort-of seems to offer some sort-of clues ..

Happy hunting,

cheers, Ian

PS Warren: I appreciate the efforts you've already put into this.